Reading Assignment – June 21 2013
Here’s your weekend reading assignment:
- Mentors – Mark VonAppen, Fully Involved
“You never know when a mentor will show up, who they will be, or how they are to influence you or your life as a whole. We might not know how someone has molded us until years later as we hear his or her words echoed in our own.”
- Because We Can – Jonah Smith, Fire Service Warrior
“As you sit down at the firehouse, you can think about whether to retire to the recliner for the day or find something to train on. I am sure that there are plenty of fallen firefighters’ families wishing that their loved one could be training with you shoulder-to-shoulder every day you work.”
- Developing Door Control Doctrine – Ed Hartin, CFBT-US
“Fire scene photos go up by the hundreds daily on the Internet. Critiquing them for best in “Equipment Omission” does not solve safety issues. It makes you look petty.”
- Focus – Dan Manning, Fire Service Warrior
A look back in the FSW archives with this Dan Manning post.
“To be truly great at our business takes a lot of work — a lot of work for the entirety of your career. If you find yourself not working too hard you may have hit a plateau from which you need to keep building and learning.”
- Finally, stay up to date on the latest research from the UL Firefighter Safety Research Institute by giving their new Facebook page a “like”.
Also, check out their main site at http://ulfirefightersafety.com/